Saturday, November 13, 2010

What is a wedding, really?

I think planning a wedding is an interesting challenge to me, because every time I have gone to a wedding I have been bored to tears. For the two of us, the question really becomes "what does a wedding mean to us?"

I think that, from seeing weddings on tv and in movies, the overwhelming perception is that a wedding is supposed to be this huge monumental event. A white, $3000 wedding dress with a huge train, in some cathedral with 200 guests, a whole lineup of bridesmaids and groomsmen, a honeymoon in Tahiti. We can't afford that, for one, but I really don't think that would be what either of us would want.

Okay, maybe a honeymoon in Tahiti would be nice. (source)

The big thing is that neither of us is religious. We don't need to be in a church, married by a priest. In fact, we would be happiest if there were no mention of God in our ceremony. And, speaking of the ceremony, let's keep it short. Let's keep the vibe of the wedding like a party, and not invite anyone we wouldn't want to party with. And we really don't need to spend a lot of money on clothes we are never going to wear again.

I mean, a wedding costs money, that's unavoidable. But we can make sure that money goes towards making it fun and personal. I just want it to be a wedding I want to be at, and I hope our guests feel the same.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever seen the TLC show "Four Weddings"? I love it, and it might give you guys some ideas. They've been airing like 4 episodes in a row on Sunday mornings. Four brides who had been strangers attend each others' weddings and give each other scores for venue, dress, food, and overall experience. The winning couple wins a honeymoon. Heck, you guys should be on the show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't - we don't have cable. :) (I see though that we could probably watch it online.)

    But I've heard a bit about the show - I think those brides would be mostly horrified by what we've got in the works. I mean, we're not planning a three-ring circus or anything, but I looked at the pictures on TLC's site, and they're all pretty-to-extremely traditional. I've got a post coming up later today about what not to expect at our wedding, and I think those brides have all of them!

    ReplyDelete