Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Something Old

I might have come across as completely anti-tradition previously, but I'm really not. Some traditions just don't suit me. But I don't have a problem with "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." I didn't know what the origin was, so with some trepidation (you never know when a wedding tradition is going to have come from completely icky origins), I looked it up. According to the Wedding Bee wiki, the various items just reflect connection to family and luck in marriage, essentially.

I've already decided on my "something old."
1910 Coin     1910 Coin
It's a 1910 gold 2 1/2 dollar coin, known as a quarter eagle. My nonna had it made into a necklace for me shortly before she died in 1991. The older I get, the sorrier I am about all the events in my life that she didn't get to see. She would have absolutely loved Morgan, I know, and I'm equally positive he would have gotten a kick out of her. I wish she could be here for the wedding, but she will definitely be in my thoughts, and wearing this necklace is a good way to honor her.
Nonna, Grandpa, Nonno
My nonna and grandpa with her father in 1943

No comments:

Post a Comment